“Jim McKelvey is the co-founder of the payments and processing giant Square. He’s got a startup called Invisibly that’s part micro-payments where you pay for individual articles and part ad tech where you, the reader, can earn free articles by trading more data. Choose to pay for no ads at all or strike a balance somewhere in the middle.”
Rachel Thomas: I’m an AI researcher, and here’s what scares me about AI
“In particular, these 5 things scare me about AI:
- Algorithms are often implemented without ways to address mistakes.
- AI makes it easier to not feel responsible.
- AI encodes & magnifies bias.
- Optimizing metrics above all else leads to negative outcomes.
- There is no accountability for big tech companies.”
“In fact, when you look at it in terms of what percent of each movie library is made up of Certified Fresh, not only does Netflix completely dominate, but Amazon Prime falls in dead last.
- Netflix – 3,839 movies total, 596 of which are Certified Fresh (15.5%)
- Hulu: 2,336 movies total, 223 of which are Certified Fresh (9.6%)
- HBO Now: 815 movies total, 38 of which are Certified Fresh (4.7%)
- Amazon Prime – 17,461 movies total, 232 of which are Certified Fresh (1.3%)”
The Verge: “While the phrase “artificial intelligence” is unquestionably, undoubtedly misused, the technology is doing more than ever — for both good and bad. It’s being deployed in health care and warfare; it’s helping people make music and books; it’s scrutinizing your resume, judging your creditworthiness, and tweaking the photos you take on your phone. In short, it’s making decisions that affect your life whether you like it or not.”
Additional Reference & Resource: The Real World AI Issue
Zeros All the Way Down
- Stratechery: Netflix Flexes
- MediaREDEF: Disney as a Service (Pt. II) and the Future of the ‘House of Mouse’
- MIT’s Blade Kotelly explains the need for design thinking is especially urgent now, given the constantly increasing pace of innovation.
- The Marvel app has a really great Design Thinking Workshop Kit. It’s free and includes a workbook, facilitator guide, workshop slides and presentation template slides.
We’re a strategy and design consulting company that looks just far enough ahead to see what’s going on without trying to cut cubes out of fog. We help large organizations move quickly and small companies scale.
We’re passionate about advancing big ideas, actively defining what’s possible and designing applications and services. We understand the business side of media and technology, excel at unlocking creativity, addressing complex problems systemically and connecting emerging technologies to everyday needs.
We’ve currently pursuing projects in enterprise VR, practical applications for the rear facing camera in AR and the human uses of artificial intelligence, especially for marketing automation and creative production.
Feel free to reach out if you’re interested in working with smart people with outstanding experience, exceptional insight and boundless enthusiasm.